my PB & the pacer

 This could be one of the best moments - my personal best running the 10k.
 10 k Run - time 1hr 03 mnts.

If i look back - i used to hate running (that's probably because of my weight and inability to run) but when i found "The Trailblazers" - it completely transformed my life.

Timings so far in 10k
1. Bengaluru 10k Challenge, 2018 : 1hr 16 mnts   (my 1st run ever in Bengaluru)
2. Thump 10k, 2018 : 1hr 06 mnts
3. Thump 10k, 2019: 1hr 03 mnts

2 Weeks before
On our usual workouts, i got to know that Sandy will be one of the Pacers in 10k (65 mnts) . Since i had achieved a similar time last year, i thought i would be able to do this. I did my trials on  Thursday (28th Nov, 2019) at APAS with face pace mode of 6.45 to 7:10 - got a good time. But i wasn't sure if i would catch up with the pace with Sandy. Divya also confirmed that she would be helping Sandy on the pace. I was optimistic that i would be able to do better than the previous Thump 10k.

Prior Preparations
Since it was a short distance, i decided not to take any Gels or Salt Tablets. Kept hydration simple - stop every 15 mnts for Enerzal. Morning Snack - Bun with Peanut Butter & Jam.

Race Day
I confirmed with Sandy & Divya - that i will be running with them & achieve the 65 mnts target. Probably, at the end- speed up a bit to improve on the timings.

0-4 kms
I started with a good pace of 6 to 6:30 pace, the initial climb was tuff in the beginning. I started with the same pace of Sandy, but she was fast. I could have managed to maintain the same pace, but would burn out soon. Divya slowed down & helped me maintain the pace. My Garmin kept beeping with the "High Heart Rate", well i thought - either Garmin will crash or i will. I have not got into the logic of "Heart Rates" yet,,,. My watch was set into miles, so i had to check on every km with Divya on the status. Did a quick stop for quick glass of Enerzal n continued. With a slight drizzle on the roads - i wasn't optimistic to run faster or catch up on the time lost during the climbs - but i gave it a push. My pacer advised me not to rush / push on the uphill.



5km
As i reached half the distance - i knew that i was in good spirits & would be able to get a good time. Divya did warn me not to rush & take it easy until the last KM.

After 7km
It was another 2kms more & and now i started to push harder , a faster pace. Divya did speed up a bit and i was unable to catch her pace, she looked back to check if was there or not. " i was" .

The last mile
Far off - i could see the toll gates - the finish line. I do not know from where i got the josh - i managed to run at a pace of 5 to 5:30 - i have never run that fast. "Cmmon" - i screamed out 3 times, i am sure - a few runners must be wondering "yeh banda kaun hain". I ran as fast as i could. The last ascent was a real task - i was out of breath n tired. I put in all my energy to the finish line.
Alas - done.

The Trailblazers 
Everyone is talented & hardworking. A gold mine of hidden talent. Coach Chandra Sir - you are the driving force.


Pacer - Divya
PB's do not come everyday - you have to work hard and get it. I must say - i was lucky to have a very good pacer like - Divya. She had been encouraging, helpful & energetic through the run. At one time, She ran fast & i could not keep up with her pace, what really touched me was - she looked back to see if i was there or not. In a race - you are on your own, but Divya helped me to the finish line. "A big thanks "

Here we go - Divya (my pacer)


The Trailblazers ( Running Group, Bengaluru)
Stats from Strava 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Hill Repeats

LSD@ Tulip Resorts & The Forest